Harrisburg Pennsylvania History

Since Harrisburg became an important industrial and transportation center during the industrial age, the city has held a sacred place in United States history. The city's history as a center of commerce, industry, and commerce in Pennsylvania and the United States played a key role in both Pennsylvania's economic development and the Industrial Revolution.

During the Industrial Revolution, Harrisburg became a center of commerce, industry, and commerce in Pennsylvania and the United States during the 19th century. During the 19,000-year-old city, its proximity to New York City and Philadelphia during and after the Civil War made it an important economic and transportation center for the state of Pennsylvania.

In the 1830s, Harrisburg was home to more than 100 passenger trains at this point in history, which shows how important Pennsylvania became the state capital. In the 1820s and early 1920s, it was the first railway station in the United States, along with the railroads, Pennsylvania State Railway, New York and Pennsylvania Railroad.

Three years later, Railton and the Seven Hallelujah Lassies expanded their operations, and they were expanded by Pennsylvania State Railway, New York and Pennsylvania Railroad, and other railroads in the area.

By 1865, Pennsylvania had developed a network of branch lines throughout the state, and by 1868 it had expanded the state lines to become the first federal-wide highway in the United States, the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The TurnPike initially connected Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, but was later expanded to the western border. Known to the Indians as Peixtin Paxtang, this area was known to them as a rest stop, as it intersected with the paths that ran from Delaware through the Ohio River, Potomac and Upper Susquehanna. Peixatin Pextin, "the area is known by the Indians as Pexatin PaXTANG because it intersects the paths of the path that led from Delaware to Ohio across the river and into the Potomac River and from there to New York.

In the 1830s, Harrisburg was one of the largest cities in the United States with its own water supply system. In 1835, it was authorized to build its own waterworks and commissioned Frederick Erdman of Philadelphia in 1839 to design the system, which was completed in 1841.

From the beginning, the goal was that the city would serve as the capital of the Pennsylvania Colony. Charles II named Pennsylvania after Penn's father, prompting Penn to worry that settlers would think he had named it after him. Lancaster was eventually chosen for the state capital because of its large population, but it only took a little more than a decade. In 1852, Philadelphia was abolished as the capital of Pennsylvania, at a time when it was also serving as the nation's capital.

Harrisburg was incorporated in 1791 and named in October 1812, which it remains today as the capital of the state of Pennsylvania. Ultimately, it was geographical factors that made Harrisburg the capital of Pennsylvania. For this reason, the state parliament elected Harrisberg, a small town with a population of just over 1,000, as the state capital in 1852.

The first executive mansion was bought in 1858, and Harrisburg was finally granted official city status in 1860. At the same time, former Pennsylvania Governor Pennypacker published his first book, "The State Capital of Pennsylvania," and in 1812 the state capital was moved from Lancaster to Harrisburg. Only around 1819 permanent government offices were established, but at the end of the 19th century it was finally moved to its present location.

The Great Railroad Strike of the summer of 1877 was a national movement and took place on the Pennsylvania Railroad site in Pittsburgh. When the Third Division of Jubal Early planned to cross the Susquehanna River near Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, to attack Harrisburg from behind, he approached the river on foot. In Pittsburgh, the citizens fortified the surrounding hills and fortifications were erected on the Harrisburg side of the Susquesha River.

Today, the Pennsylvania State Capitol (pacapitol.com) is listed as a National Historic Landmark after President Theodore Roosevelt called it "one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen" in 1906. More than 2,000 historic markings from across the state have been placed there in honor of the historic events, places and people that shaped Pennsylvania into a state of its own.

John Harris, a native of Yorkshire, England, was one of the first emigrants to accompany William Penn to Philadelphia. In 1785, John Harris Jr. made the decision to build the city on his father's land, which bore the name Harrisburg. Elisha "John" Harris was the son of John and his wife Elizabeth and came to Harrisberg in 1784 from Canada, which his grandfather, his second grandfather, had founded in 1817 on the banks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania.

After the opening of the Pennsylvania Canal three years later, the Cumberland Valley Railroad came to town in 1835. In 1939, American Aviation, a Pennsylvania company, was licensed to transport mail from Harrisburg to Philadelphia on the Allegheny River and the Delaware River to New York City.

More About Harrisburg

More About Harrisburg